Here are a few new titles I just discovered… some of them may not be ‘acceptable’ in your particular situation, but I am going to show them to a group of parents and get their input. Here are the titles I got recently:
- William’s Doll -Charlotte Zolotow (a boy who wants a doll to play with)
- My Princess Boy- Cheryl Kilodavis (about a boy who likes to wear ‘unconventional’ clothing, acceptance) (http://www.myprincessboy.com/index.asp)
- The Family Book-Todd Parr (has a page that says ‘some families have two moms or two dads’.)
- King & King- Linda de Haan (a prince’s family tries to find him a princess, but instead he ‘falls’ for the princess’ brother)
- And Tango Makes Three- Justin Richardson and Peter Parnell (two male penguins are given an egg to adopt and they raise the chick together-true story from the Central Park Zoo) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyPjUa908hM&feature=related
I would love to hear your comments about this post…..
Further recommendations from Jamie Z:
Nabeel’s New Pants by Fawzia G. William? It’s about how Muslims celebrate Eid but it’s a cute story that addresses traditions of the culture.
by Eric Carle and K. Iwamura – a bilingual book (Japanese)